Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Growing Herbs, Book Review

For me, herbs are a must-have in the garden.  Growing your own vegetables is satisfying and healthy; flowers are colorful and lovely to look at; and then you have herbs that have multiple benefits!  They're edible and useful in the kitchen.  They're fragrant and their flowers attract bees.  And on top of that, they have medicinal properties.



More and more, I'm making homemade herbal remedies for simple ailments and treatments instead of buying pills or ointments with who-knows-what chemicals.  A book I've referenced countless times over the years has been Growing 101 Herbs That Heal by Tammi Hartung, published by Storey Publishing.  Holley over at Roses and Other Gardening Joys hosts a book review meme each month, and I'm choosing this book as part of her March review.




This is a wonderful reference book for herbs.  Besides growing, maintaining and harvesting herbs, it covers making herbal preparations like teas, infusions, decoctions, tinctures, poultices, infused oils, salves, creams and more.


There are chapters on design, propagation, pest and disease control, and a chapter about medicinal foods with recipes.  The plant reference section in the last portion of the book is what I use most often.


For those like me who (for years) thought only of herbs in terms of culinary use, think about another benefit of herbs.  This book offers much information about growing and using a variety of herbs for natural medicinal purposes as well.

3 comments:

HolleyGarden said...

I do not grow many herbs, but am more and more asking myself why I don't. I think this book would be the catalyst to doing that. My husband takes a lot of herbal supplements, and I know he would love and appreciate this book, and of course, growing herbs chemically free would be the accompanying step. Thanks for the review!

The Sage Butterfly said...

I have grown herbs for years for culinary uses and for uses in healthy teas and salves. This sounds like a very helpful book...great review.

charlie b. said...

Hi Holley and Sage Butterfly,

I learned a lot from this book and funny thing I found out was that many wild plants and weeds in our yard also have medicinal properties. I made an anti-itch liniment from plantain growing along our driveway. And it works! : D