Sunday, March 4, 2012

Pasta Making

Homemade pasta drying

We had my Mom come out last week, and she helped me make homemade pasta and sauce.  She wondered why go to all the trouble when you can simply buy a box for around a dollar.  Well, that's true, but (a) my preference is homemade instead of boxed from the store, and (b) I don't think of it as trouble.  Homemade pasta is SO good, and I like the process of making it.

I'll admit, it took me awhile to get my hand crank Imperia pasta machine.  I figured it'd be another one of those kitchen gadgets that never gets used.  And for some of the year, that's true.  I tend to bake more and make pasta in winter.  But I did purchase one online, and really like using it.  I should use it more and make my own supply of pasta year-round, but summer comes and well... you know.

Here's the simple recipe, and for details on making pasta, watch Uncle Bill on the YouTube link below (video by foodwishes.com). You don't need a machine to make it by the way – just the ingredients and a nice sharp knife will do.

Homemade Pasta Dough a la Uncle Bill

2 1/4 c flour (can combo with semolina if desired)
1/3 c water
2 fresh eggs
1 T olive oil
1 tsp salt

Note: using this recipe and cooking all the pasta, it made enough for three people with a little left over.  Also - fresh pasta cooks fast; only boil for about 2-3 minutes.

3 comments:

GirlSprout said...

The homemade pasta looks yummy. I had a friend in high school who used to bring it to class potlucks.

HolleyGarden said...

By my own request, I got a pasta machine for Christmas. But I've been chicken and haven't made any yet! Yours look fabulous. Maybe I'll get the courage up to give it a try!

charlie b. said...

Thanks GirlSprout! It was yummy!

Holley, get that thing out and give it a go!! LOL It takes some time to make homemade pasta, but it's not hard. When I got my machine, I found that video and followed what he did. However, I put the flour in a large flat bowl since my well tends to leak. : )